Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Gerbil help please - sick gerbil?

So I have a female Gerbil, I've always used the same brand of litter, food, toys, etc. for her whole life and the past few weeks her face has been swelling off and on, at first she lost all hair on her face but it has been growing back very quickly. There's a white piece of something in her eye and I can't tell if something is stuck in there or if it's some kind of growth. There is also a red mucous, or blood that has seeped from her nose and eyes, but it clears up fine, and looks more like her mucous rather than blood. I have taken some pics, I just don't know what to do or where to go to email pics for someone to help. Her appetite is fine, the same as it always has been, shes alwyas in fresh bedding and with fresh water. and she's as active as ever, she doesn't seem sluggish or to be sleeping too much she doesn't seem to be in pain at all. but I also think she has trouble seeing when it's very swollen. Any help please?



Gerbil help please - sick gerbil?

You could use a sterile saline eyewash on his eye. If the white bit is on the edge of the eye , you could try a cotton bud , wet, to lightly rush it and see if it comes loose.



The swelling and hair loss sounds like an allergy. Did you feed it something new ?



If she behaves normally I would just watch her and see if that white spot in her eye changes at all.



Gerbil help please - sick gerbil?

Are you positive she aint pregnant?



Gerbil help please - sick gerbil?

Usually hair falling off, and then returning again is a sign of infection. Call the zoo, or the university, there may be someone who can advise you. There are also animal rescue groups dedicated to little critters such as gerbils. The vet might be able to give you some phone numbers. Unfortunately, it is expensive to see the vet, but it might be worth it.



Gerbil help please - sick gerbil?

I honestly have no idea what is wrong with your gerbil. I have heard that gerbils boogers are red, so I don't think you need to worry about that. I have had so many troubles with my one gerbil. I have two. The poor thing. First he broke his leg, then my little sister cut off half of his tail, then my ACCIDENTALLY broke his tooth by dropping him 3 feet in the air. And now his eye doesn't always open. Well, I have never taken him to the vet, and he seems fine. I have had him for over a year. And he is still alive and healthy, well, he is a little fat. If your gerbil isn't sluggish or isn't in pain, I don't think you need to worry too much. The only thing you might want to read about is her swollen face and loss of hair. Sorry that I couldn't help you! I hope she gets better!



Gerbil help please - sick gerbil?

Go. Vets. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment